Property Loss/Theft Claim

How to Report a Property Loss/Theft Claim

(University owned, borrowed or leased property - other than licensed vehicles)

Follow the Property Claim Packet Instructions to report and submit a claim for settlement.

Property Claim Packet includes:


Restitution and Recovery from Third Parties for Departmental Damage

The Office of Property & Liability Risk Management is the administrative office responsible for restitution and recovery of departmental damage or loss done by third parties as outlined in University Policy FIN-008. The Office of Property & Liability Risk Management administers all such claims, ensuring restitution is received when possible, and that departments receive all the restitution collected in a timely manner. By being the office responsible for recoveries from third parties, the Office of Property & Liability Risk Management can compile statistics on third party damages/losses and recoveries for the University. While Departments bear the responsibility for reporting as instructed in University Policy FIN-008, Internal Audit in cases of embezzlement, and the University Police will also play an integral role in advising the Office of Risk Management of complaints involving damage or loss to UVA-owned property. Also, in criminal cases, University Police will advise the Commonwealth Attorney that restitution will be requested from the court in conjunction with the Office of Property & Liability Risk Management, and all restitution is to be directed to the University of Virginia Office of Property & Liability Risk Management P.O. Box 400205 Charlottesville VA 22904 4205. Departments incurring damages are responsible for following all reporting instructions contained in University Policy FIN-008, and providing the assistance requested.

Property Loss Preparation and Prevention

There are steps that can be taken to help mitigate financial loss in a property claim such as:  maintaining an inventory and prevention measures.